Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Andrew Solomon, Depression: The Secret We Share / TEDTalks


..."the people who deny their experience [...] ironically, those are the people that are most enslaved by what they have. The people who do better are the ones who are able to tolerate the fact that they have this condition; those who can tolerate their depression, are the ones who achieve their resilience." 

..."depression is the flaw, in love. [...] there's no such thing as love without the anticipation of loss, and the specter of despair can be the engine of intimacy." 

... "she sat in her parent's apartment, more or less catatonic, essentially without moving, day after day. and when I interviewed her about that experience some years later, she said, I was singing "where have all the flowers gone" over and over to occupy my mind. I was singing to blot out the things my mind was saying which were, "you are nothing. you are nobody. you don't even deserve to live." and that was when I really started thinking about killing myself." 

..."this will be hellish, but I will learn something from it."

... "and these days my life is vital, even on the days that I'm sad. I felt the funeral in my brain, and I sat next to the colossus at the edge of the world, and I have discovered something inside of myself that I would have to call a soul, that i'd never formulated until that day 20 years ago, when hell came to pay me a surprise visit. I think that while I hated being depressed and would hate to be depressed again, I found a way to love my depression. I love it because it has forced me to find and cling to joy. I love it because each day I decide, sometimes gamely, sometimes against the moment's reason, to cleave to the reasons for living; and that I think is a highly privileged rapture."

No comments:

Post a Comment